We bring baked goods and build relationships with the bar girls and mamas in the Wan Chai Red Light District every Thursday, to speak truth into their lives and bring hope that comes from our Lord Jesus Christ.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven Matthew 5:16
Situation in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong is a transit and destination territory for human trafficking from countries such as China, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Colombia.
- Hong Kong is a popular destination given its proximity to nearby South-East Asian countries and offers much higher pay as a wealthy, developed city
- Of all sentenced persons, 10.8% were young offenders (ie those aged 14-20).
- Hong Kong continues to fail to fully comply with the minimum standards set by the Trafficking Victims Protection Act’s (“TVPA”) according to the US State Department’s 2015 Trafficking in Persons Report
- Government maintained limited efforts to protect victims. In 2014, authorities identified 26 potential sex trafficking victims (increase from 7 in 2013). Authorities did not refer any victims to care facilities
- Human trafficking is the third largest global criminal industry (after drugs and arms trafficking) generating an annual profit of USD32bn per year.
- A crime that often goes undetected, unreported and thus unperceived. The top 10 countries with the highest number of enslaved people account for over ¾ of the global total. Of these 10 countries, 6 are located in the Asia-Pacific region
How SP responds?
- We partner with Sons & Daughters, a YWAM ministry, to hand out baked goods and reach out to the people working in the Wanchai Red Light District on a weekly basis
- We aim to bring hope, encouragement and love to those who are living under bondage through establishing an ongoing relationship with the girls and those who work in these bars, ultimately pointing them towards the freedom available through Jesus Christ
- Recently opened a drop-in facility called Promise House to build deeper relationship with the girls, hang out and pray with them to better understand their situation
You can partner with us in five ways:
- Baking team: Thursday
- Offsite Intercessory team: Thursday
- Onsite Worship and prayer team: Thursday: 8pm to 9pm
- Outreach: Thursday 9pm onwards
- Promise House: Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (night time)
Location: Wanchai, Lockhart Road
For more information, please email [email protected]